Friday, August 11, 2006

BBQ #1.2: Jamaica to Montreal, rev. ed.

super ape bbq

"...an endless banquet"
Backroom Records & Pastries
The Guerrilla Street Food Coalition
and
Mile End/St-Louis BBQ #1

present

BBQ #1.2: Jamaica to Montreal

featuring

Mile End/St-Louis BBQ #1 Jerk Pork BBQ Sandwiches
Hot Jamaican Shrimp by the bag
Jamaican-style "Rice & Peas"
Homemade Super Ape-approved Super Spicy Ginger Beer

+ Jamaican sweet treats

& Jamaican music of all sorts

Sunday, August 13, 2006
12:00 noon - 2 p.m.
Backroom Records & Pastries
5912 Rue St. Urbain
"Back Alley Entrance Only!"

Directions: If you go to the intersection of Bernard and St. Urbain, there's an alley right behind École Lambert-Closse on the north side of Bernard that's accessible from either St. Urbain or Waverly. Just follow that alley north towards Van Horne. We'll be the ones selling jerk pork above a garage. I'm sure there's a way of coming down the alley from Van Horne, too, but I've never come that way.

Come one, come all!

aj

note: Backroom Records & Pastries will be open to satisfy your penchant for music & sweets from 12:00 noon till 6:00 p.m., i.e. normal hours.

3 comments:

Matthew said...

I'd be there if I still lived in Montreal!

Unfortunately, where I live, you can't even buy jalapenos at the grocery store, much less scotch bonnets. So no jerk BBQ for me!

Anonymous said...

Hi

Can you tell me what the story is about the name "Super Ape"?

Does the name come from the Lee Scratch Perry Tune "Return of Super Ape" or did somebody use the name "Super Ape" before he did?

aj kinik said...

Hi Matthew,
Scotch bonnets can be a little hard to come by, even in Montreal. Hmm, I'm wondering what might make a good substitute. Probably not jalapenos, but maybe some other kind of chile.


Hi jamaica man,
as far as I know, Lee Perry was the one who coined it. I love his work during that era and I'm a big fan of the artwork he was using too.